| Posted by Healthy Groms
Simple and easy, these healthy choc chip banana muffins are delicious and a hit with the kids (+ adults!) They can also easily be whipped up in the morning amongst the daily chaos.
Makes 12 – for six hungry kids or two hung-over parents
2 cups whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 and ½ cups very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
⅓ cup coconut oil
½ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips (or more, they can also be replaced with nuts)
2 tablespoons rolled oats (optional)
- Locate the children. It is likely your youngest will be attempting to cut his own apple for his school lunch in an attempt to help you. Don’t let him.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Fill a greased muffin tin with cupcake baking cups, the more mismatched the better – no amount of Tupperware can even keep your bits and bobs organised.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Whisk until just combined.
- Duck! Pick up the flying school shoe and return it to its owner. Teach your kids the phrase “heads up” for future near-accidents.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, light brown sugar, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, and coconut oil.
- Using a spatula, mix until all the ingredients are combined. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently begin to fold it all together. At least one of your kids will want to have a go at mixing – let them, as they will lose interest after a minute.
- Work out any flour pockets but do not over mix the batter. Fold in the chocolate chips, and refrain from eating them – Summer is around the corner babe. Or if you want to be a real health nut, replace the chocolate with nuts. But let’s be real, that ain’t happening.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins, and sprinkle with rolled oats for a final touch.
- Bake the muffins for 18-22 minutes, or until completely cooked.
- Let the little ones have a lick of the bowl, but be sure to adjudicate who gets to lick what utensil etc. etc.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely, and then pop them in their lunchboxes still nice and warm!
- Tip: Put them in brown paper bags, as they tend to stay fresher longer.
Voila! The perfect muffins for school lunches, that are super easy to make! You can thank us later ;)
Love, LBL x
Recipe modified from: Little Spice Jar - http://www.littlespicejar.com/healthy-chocolate-chip-banana-muffins/